Duet AI can suggest and rewrite text, correct errors, and suggest ways to improve wording.
Google makes Duet AI generally available End of August 2023. The features add generative artificial intelligence capabilities to various Google Workspace apps, including Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets, Google Chat, and Google Meet. Duet AI is an add-on available for several versions of Google Workspace.
In Google Docs, couple ai Can create, revise and proofread text. If Duet AI is added to your Google account, try the following features in Google Docs on the web.
How to generate text with Help Me Write in Google Docs
1. Select the Help Me Write button to the left of the text.
2. Enter instructions that describe the text you want. Keep your prompt specific but brief – one or two short sentences.
3. Select the Create button when ready.
4. After a few moments, Duet AI will display either:
One. response text or
B. The message “We’re still learning and can’t help. Try another request. When it appears, edit your entry and try again.
5. Alternatively, you can:
- Select the Refine button, which provides access to all the features covered in the next section, as well as the retry option. When you make any of these refinements, keep in mind that the system changes the initial response text. Because the temporary text is replaced, it may be advisable to insert the generated text, then refine it from within the Google Doc rather than in the Help Me Write window.
- Click on the starting prompt and modify it to generate different text.
6. If you find the feedback useful, select Insert (Figure A) to add text to your Google Doc.
Help Me Write responses are concise and can be taken from the document content. In testing, the responses generated were less than 400 words, so Help Me Write may be best used for starter ideas and drafts. (This is one reason the feature is called Help Me Write rather than Write for Me.) Additionally, Duet AI sometimes references document content in response, which can skew the text toward relevance, but is redundant. At the risk of.
How to Rewrite Text in Google Docs with Duet AI
1. Select text in Google Doc. Often, you will want to select one or more sentences.
2. Select the Help Me Rewrite button; This is the same icon that serves as the Help Me Rewrite button when no text is selected.
3. Select a menu option (Figure B,
- Tone, formal Or Tone, informal Making changes to word selection as described.
- Abbreviation To distill the key points.
- To shoot a bullet Reorganizing as bullet points.
- elaborate To expand the text. This is especially useful for a phrase or sentence or two.
- Small Summarizing basic concepts.
- modified as follows To find alternative words.
- custom To add your own rewrite approach. This lets you enter the action you want Duet AI to perform. For example, you could try making it a poem, making it like Shakespeare, or making it more upbeat. Although not every option works well, the Custom option lets you explore creative variations on your text.
4. The system will display the selected revision.
5. You can then choose between three options:
- Enter to add the generated text below your originally selected section.
- Change to remove the originally selected section and use the generated text instead.
- Refine which lets you again choose a rewrite menu option as described above.
How to proofread text in Google Docs with Duet AI
Once your draft is ready for review, use Duet AI Proofread Identifying potential errors and suggesting improvements. Spelling and grammar detection work much as they historically did in Google Docs. The Duet AI proofread feature can also be reviewed:
- words To suggest different words.
- active voice To replace the passive voice with the active voice.
- summary To remove irrelevant words.
- sentence splitting To simplify sentence structures.
1. Select Tools. Proofread | Proofread this document. Alternatively, select the proofread icon – a capital letter A and a checkmark below it – from the menu.
2. The Proofread side panel will display on the right side of your Google Doc (picture c,
3. For each identified problem, you can choose from these options (Figure C):
- Accept the changes by selecting the changed word or phrase with a checkmark or in blue.
- Reject the change by selecting X.
- Access the three-dot More menu to close the Suggestions category or give feedback to the development team.
Give Duet AI context and guidance
Duet AI works best with a little context and guidance. For example, when I drafted the sections above, the “Help me write” prompt of “Write an introductory paragraph for the rest of the article” returned the following precise and straightforward paragraphs (keen observers will notice that duet AI uses the Oxford comma):
Duet AI is a powerful tool that can help you with your writing in Google Docs. It can help you prepare text, rewrite text, and proofread your work. In this article, we’ll explain how to use Duet AI for each of these tasks.
We’ll start by covering how to generate text with Duet AI. This is a great way to get started on a writing project or come up with ideas. Then we’ll cover how to rewrite text with Duet AI. This may be helpful if you want to improve the tone, style or clarity of your writing. Finally, we’ll explain how to proofread your work with Duet AI. This can help you catch errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation.
We hope this article helps you get the most of Duet AI in Google Docs.
Experiment with Duet AI
If you have access to Duet AI, give it a try. Draft some text – a few bullet points, lines, sentences or even several paragraphs – then select Help Me Write and prompt it to generate the text. Select some text and explore the rewriting options, or enter your own custom creative twist for a range of refinements. And before you share your document with others, have Duet AI Proofread review everything to identify errors and suggest edits.
Mention or message me on Mastodon (@avolber) to let me know what your experience has been with Duet AI in Google Docs. Of the three sets of features – proofread, help me write or rewrite – which do you use most often? Which one do you find most useful?
#Duet #Google #Docs